Monday, March 26, 2012

Review: Deceived


Deceived
Deceived by Stephanie Nelson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



DECEIVED is the second book in the Gwen Sparks series.  Gwen has been summoned to Moon by the NAWC to train for the possible war with the vampires. Witches are being murdered by vampires so the witches blood can be sold as a highly addictive drug to vampires called Brew. Although the NAWC has requested the Vampire Counsel take action against the offending vampires the VC has made no move to rectify the situation. The NAWC has no choice but to declare war against all vampires for the secret of the witches blood is out and could mean the end of their race as they know it. Gwen must learn to use her Spirit Walker powers so she can successfully be the NAWC's secret weapon. Secrets are uncovered. Hearts are broken. Friendships are lost. Those who trusted are betrayed.

***SPOILER ALERT***  About 75% of the way through, I figured a major plot twist that should have been revealed in the last 10% of the book. I kept hoping I was wrong and that there was a twist in the twist, but I wasn't. I knew something wasn't right with a love interest, but thank goodness I did not figure out the details. There were clues from some of the supporting characters that I really thought Gwen should have picked up on, but she was being very dense. Then there was a part, when the villain pointed out that Gwen was being obtuse, but I really didn't get it either. There were some questions unanswered, but I'm holding out hope that they are being held over to the next installment. I totally feel for Gwen because the whole spirit world was confusing to me, maybe I'm the one being dense this time. Another love interest seems to come out of nowhere. One minute he's her teacher, the next he is upset that Gwen doesn't see "what is right in front of her." Don't worry Gwen, I didn't see it either until he made mention of it. There is something off about Aidan's motivation for doing what he has done. It just doesn't ring true. The defeat of the main villain seemed anticlimactic. When it happened, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the read. It was a fast read. DECEIVED held my interest and I am eagerly awaiting the next installment. I look forward to seeing how the love triangle will be resolved as well as how the loose ends will be tied up from book 2.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment