Monday, May 28, 2012

ARC Review: Can't Hurry Love


Can't Hurry Love
Can't Hurry Love by Molly O'Keefe

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In CAN'T HURRY LOVE, Victoria's husband Joel committed suicide after being caught running a ponzi scheme. Thrust out of her posh life in New York City, she begins the steps to start anew. Victoria asks her brother, Luc, if she can run the ranch left to him by their father until it is out of escrow and she can purchase it for herself and her son. She had never really felt she had accomplished much besides having a wonderful son who is now 7 years old. Eli, the ranch foreman, had been planning to buy the ranch from Luc, but his plans are thwarted by Victoria's desire to buy the ranch. He decides he has to run her off if he is to have a chance to own the ranch his family has worked for the past three generations.

I wasn't sure what to expect from CAN'T HURRY LOVE. I had read the blurb and it had piqued my interest. It was reminiscent of a modern day Romeo and Juliet/The Hatfield vs. The McCoy's. In this case it was the Turnbull's and the Baker's. Eli's family has lost their land to the Bakers, bit by bit. All he wanted was to get it back. His dad spent his life bitter and unsuccessful in getting the land back. His legacy was passed to Eli to accomplish his father's wish. The attempts were making Eli bitter and hateful. It made him into someone he didn't want to be.

Victoria was crapped on by her dad, then her husband, her boyfriend and finally by Eli. Eli's betrayal gave Victoria the push/courage to discover and live her dream. Victoria only wanted to accomplish something on her own, to mean something to someone besides the unconditional love of her son.

I started out thinking Eli was a real jackhat. There was an evolution in many of the characters including Eli and Victoria. Eli went from jackhat to hero, swooping in to save the day. I went from sympathizing with Victoria to wishing she would get her head out if her petunia. I burned to read CAN'T HURRY LOVE, finish it, to find out what was next. I would have stayed up all night and skipped work if I didn't need a job to maintain a roof over my head. My gut was in knots at pivotal points. CAN'T HURRY LOVE is a solid Contemporary Romance with hot, sexy cowboy and a frumpy socialite turned sex fiend and deviant.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment