Tuesday, May 8, 2012

ARC Review: Serious Play


Serious Play
Serious Play by Bonnie Dee

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



SERIOUS PLAY is a contemporary romance by Summer Devon & Bonnie Dee that was given to me by Carina Press for an honest review.

Bad boy, Luke Bailey, recently spent 5 years in prison for being involved in an armed robbery in which a store owner was shot. Mary Scott, themed bar owner, needs a bartender and agrees to do her Parole Officer friend a favor by interviewing Luke for the position. Although Mary is leery of hiring an ex-con, she trusts her friends judgement and her own gut feeling that Luke is the man for the job. Luke knows that by hiring him, Mary is putting her bar and perhaps her own job at risk if he should fail; therefore, he puts his best foot forward to start the new life he's been given a second chance to live. So Luke won't have to live in a half-way-house, Mary offers Luke a small room as part of his payment for working for her. Mary and Luke spend quite a lot of time together and get to know each other as more than boss and ex-con. Their attraction grows, but their new found relationship is threatened by an unexpected betrayal.

SERIOUS PLAY drew me in pretty quickly and made me want to stay up all night reading. I had to go to bed because work is supposed to be a priority and without my job, I could not buy new books. I was intrigued by the idea of an ex-con. The idea was a turn off originally, but the writers were able to develop Luke into a loveable character. I was charmed by the "My Parents Basement" idea and thought it would be a fruitful venture in real life.

SERIOUS PLAY is nice beach read. It was quick and effortless. I did not have to concentrate on reading and was able to imagine the interaction s of the characters as they were described.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment