Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Review: First Grave on the Right

First Grave on the Right
First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT is the first book in the Charley Davidson series. Charlotte "Charley" Davidson is not your average PI. She sees... and talks to dead people. She is bright. And shiny. Maybe even sparkly. No, she isn't a vampire. Sheesh. She is a grim reaper. She is THE Grim Reaper. Scythe? No. Black cloak? No. Bony fingers? MMMaybe. Snarky sense of humor? Absolutely! Charley ferries lost souls to the other side aka heaven, usually after helping them resolve whatever issue was holding them back. Lost souls from all over the world can see her shining and seek her out so that they may cross over. When not ferrying lost souls, Charley helps her uncle solve murder cases with the help of the murder victims. She has been helping her father, then her uncle since she was 5 years old. Recently, she has helped a woman flee from her abusive husband, she is helping the police solve the murder of three lawyers who were all murdered about the same time AND trying to discover the identity of her dream lover.

I couldn't put this book down. I counted down the work day so I could hurry home, make dinner, get the kids ready for bed, so that I could continue on with the story. Okay, I did take a short break in the middle of the work day so that could read a chapter. Or three. I found FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT to be wacky, off-beat, and a tiny bit naughty. Charley is a strong, take no prisoners, my way or the highway kinda girl. I found myself laughing out loud, highlighting the really great parts and re-reading certain paragraphs to truly appreciate the humor. The storyline was fresh. The world building was solid. I couldn't fine any plot holes. FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT was thoroughly enjoyed. Great one Darynda Jones. Take a bow, well met.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment