Friday, February 3, 2012

Review: Something Secret This Way Comes


Something Secret This Way Comes
Something Secret This Way Comes by Sierra Dean

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Something Secret this Way Comes is the first book in the Secret McQueen Series.  Secret McQueen is a Werewolf/Vampire hybrid. She was abandoned by her werewolf mother, raised by her witch grandmere, and is now on the vampire tribunal payroll. When not bounty hunting for the vampires, she works with her partner and mentor Keaty. Secret abhors werewolves and chooses to keep her werewolf side a secret (no pun intended.) She is feared by most vampires, apart from Alexandre Peyton. Six years ago, Peyton nearly killed Secret in a botched assassination attempt that left Peyton with only one fang. It has been status quo for the last six years until one fateful night, Peyton makes his return known. Secret must stop Peyton from completing his plan to rule the world *bwahahaha* or at least New York City.

I read this book quickly. For me, this usually means it is at least a 4 star book. There was a lot of action, which I love in an UF. I liked the supporting characters of Keaty and Holden. The story line in general was solid.

So why give it 3 stars you ask? Because it was very reminiscent of Anita Blake and the maneuverings of the love triangle felt contrived and shallow. I was disappointed as this book has pretty good reviews overall.

I want to continue on with the series, but I'm not sure if I can stomach the romance. In this book, it felt like it was just airlifted into their individual scenes. I will have to stew on it a bit to see if the promise of the next installment will be alluring enough to keep me going.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment